Skip to main content

Devoid of Language

There are words to express
the burning in my sockets,
the choking grip in my throat,
the retching sensation deep inside.

There are words to comfort and console
broken hearts tearing, screaming,
shattered souls praying wistfully,
minds mangled in foggy disbelief.

There are words to indicate
the inexpressible feeling of tragedy,
the incomprehensible moment of loss,
the unwavering coaster of emotions.

There are words to lift
spirits ravaged by a war uncontrollable,
eyelids heavy, sodden with grief,
shoulders slunk in submissive defeat.

There are these words.
I know not how to express them,
how to use them to comfort and console,
to indicate things inconceivable,
to lift in times of great need.

But -- I can cry.
I know how to hug.
Listen, I do well.

Today, I need no words.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Weirdest Teacher in the Galaxy

Jordan is a 7th grade girl at my school and happens to be in my first hour class and visits me during lunch to work on homework. We realized early on our personalities clicked. Jordan's humor fills my day. She lifts me up when I am down. She provides a never ending saga of laughter and sarcasm. I will never tire of her presence nor her positive light on life. The following is just another moment of our exchange and the onslaught that follows. "My mouth just about fell out of its face!" This is the exclamation I proclaimed after I unknowingly chomped on a pinwheel for lunch (a tortilla rolled up with lettuce, meat, cheese and usually some sort of sauce inside and then cut into small sections). All other pinwheels brought in throughout the year had been 'normal' with basic ranch dressing sauce or some sort of cream cheese. Not this one. Nope. This bad boy was one molecule short of a nuclear bomb exploding in my mouth, covering all possible nerve endings with i...

Human Rain

Shedding so many of these I felt compelled to create a different kind of one.                Human Rain                                               y                      o                      u                    begin                    as an         ...

Reading Like a Writer - Kind of

     I asked my mom about her reading life. I wanted to know if she really was reading as fast as I thought she was all those years. I wanted to know if she really absorbed what she was reading, or if she was using warp speed as I had been. Had her reading speed changed over the years? She told me when she was in the fourth grade (it was a split fourth/fifth grade class) they had speed reading tests. They read a book very fast and had to answer comprehension questions. They were trying to teach her to pick out words in the sentences without having to read the whole thing – just being able to get the gist of it and still answer the questions correctly. Even now, she says she understands everything about the story. If something is really boring in the story, she will speed read it very quickly; glancing at each line and picking out the pertinent information, and then move on. “I think you have to have the capability to read the sentence, and if you don't know the wor...