Skip to main content

Devoid of Language

There are words to express
the burning in my sockets,
the choking grip in my throat,
the retching sensation deep inside.

There are words to comfort and console
broken hearts tearing, screaming,
shattered souls praying wistfully,
minds mangled in foggy disbelief.

There are words to indicate
the inexpressible feeling of tragedy,
the incomprehensible moment of loss,
the unwavering coaster of emotions.

There are words to lift
spirits ravaged by a war uncontrollable,
eyelids heavy, sodden with grief,
shoulders slunk in submissive defeat.

There are these words.
I know not how to express them,
how to use them to comfort and console,
to indicate things inconceivable,
to lift in times of great need.

But -- I can cry.
I know how to hug.
Listen, I do well.

Today, I need no words.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Human Rain

Shedding so many of these I felt compelled to create a different kind of one.                Human Rain                                               y                      o                      u                    begin                    as an         ...

The Weirdest Teacher in the Galaxy

Jordan is a 7th grade girl at my school and happens to be in my first hour class and visits me during lunch to work on homework. We realized early on our personalities clicked. Jordan's humor fills my day. She lifts me up when I am down. She provides a never ending saga of laughter and sarcasm. I will never tire of her presence nor her positive light on life. The following is just another moment of our exchange and the onslaught that follows. "My mouth just about fell out of its face!" This is the exclamation I proclaimed after I unknowingly chomped on a pinwheel for lunch (a tortilla rolled up with lettuce, meat, cheese and usually some sort of sauce inside and then cut into small sections). All other pinwheels brought in throughout the year had been 'normal' with basic ranch dressing sauce or some sort of cream cheese. Not this one. Nope. This bad boy was one molecule short of a nuclear bomb exploding in my mouth, covering all possible nerve endings with i...

The Chair

The Chair Today my mom said, "Let's cut your hair!" I looked at her from beneath my shaggy mop and decreed quietly, "I'm outta here." No luck I'm afraid for she dragged me by my ratty, red t-shirt to THE CHAIR. "This is so not fair," I mumbled miserably. On goes the old, stained sheet, which has seen one too many cuttings. It will resemble a ghost costume by the time she's done. "Chin up, keep your head straight," she quips light- heartedly, "let's not procrastinate." She just doesn't understand my dilemma, I quietly fume, as she came back into the room with those glinting sheers in hand. Snip, snip, say the silver knives as they rid my follicles of (I was sure) more than split ends. I dread the thought of a new picture; to family members she will surely send. Grumpy and growly I fold my arms across my chest, slouch in THE CHAIR with the worst scowl; my best. ...