Skip to main content

Foggy Depths

There are moments in our lives which shape us.
Bring us to a new understanding, of which beforehand we knew nothing of.
The shift in our paradigm, the obvious tilt in our orbit is enough.
It causes every fiber of our being to be examined, reflected upon, and criticized.
We stand before our own mirror, our own looking glass, determined.

We say to our mirrored self “I want to be beautiful”.
How can the world understand what we truly want is to be loved?
To be able to look ourselves in that jaded glass and know without hesitation.
Is it possible, realistic even, to ask ourselves such a query?
Would the world be able to grasp our hand, lift our spirits?

When our life, even our most treasured loves are challenged, we fight.
Why then, as humans, do we allow our very image to cause us to shrink?
Do we not see the worth staring back in our misty eyes?
Are we unable to feel the depths we encase in our souls waiting to be freed?
A conundrum yet to be solved – to even be attempted.

Our beauty has become something so materialistic, so unnatural.
We stare at our made up faces, our styled follicles and we see what we want.
There is no cure for vanity, no magic potion to allow our hearts to breathe.
We suffer in our own suffocation as we expect others to do right alongside us.
No qualms, save the quiver deep in our depths, pleading for salvation.

And what of this salvation? This need to be freed?
Pining away, aching with remarkable clarity, even as our hearts bleed.
Such swelling is unnatural, though exists it does.
Harboring an illness older than time itself, destined to be the end of some.
For there are those of us, tender-hearted in an extreme deemed incurable.

Alas, here we come full circle – staring upon the clouded holder of visage.
Imagine, just this once, we wipe away the fogginess and gain clarity.
There we are – enamored by the selfless, genuine, beautiful creature we are.
All those simple things you altered, allowing your true image to be seen.
Aching? Pleading? Desperation? What of them? Gone.

Someone once asked me, “How can we hate ourselves?”
I replied with conviction, “When we no longer love ourselves”.
Which is why my looking glass forever remains fogged.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Weirdest Teacher in the Galaxy

Jordan is a 7th grade girl at my school and happens to be in my first hour class and visits me during lunch to work on homework. We realized early on our personalities clicked. Jordan's humor fills my day. She lifts me up when I am down. She provides a never ending saga of laughter and sarcasm. I will never tire of her presence nor her positive light on life. The following is just another moment of our exchange and the onslaught that follows. "My mouth just about fell out of its face!" This is the exclamation I proclaimed after I unknowingly chomped on a pinwheel for lunch (a tortilla rolled up with lettuce, meat, cheese and usually some sort of sauce inside and then cut into small sections). All other pinwheels brought in throughout the year had been 'normal' with basic ranch dressing sauce or some sort of cream cheese. Not this one. Nope. This bad boy was one molecule short of a nuclear bomb exploding in my mouth, covering all possible nerve endings with i...

Human Rain

Shedding so many of these I felt compelled to create a different kind of one.                Human Rain                                               y                      o                      u                    begin                    as an         ...

Reading Like a Writer - Kind of

     I asked my mom about her reading life. I wanted to know if she really was reading as fast as I thought she was all those years. I wanted to know if she really absorbed what she was reading, or if she was using warp speed as I had been. Had her reading speed changed over the years? She told me when she was in the fourth grade (it was a split fourth/fifth grade class) they had speed reading tests. They read a book very fast and had to answer comprehension questions. They were trying to teach her to pick out words in the sentences without having to read the whole thing – just being able to get the gist of it and still answer the questions correctly. Even now, she says she understands everything about the story. If something is really boring in the story, she will speed read it very quickly; glancing at each line and picking out the pertinent information, and then move on. “I think you have to have the capability to read the sentence, and if you don't know the wor...