Skip to main content

Saturday Evening Antics



This year, I have not gone to school on the weekends as much simply because of the 25 minute drive one way. However, in the past month, I have needed to pop in to work on paperwork for case conferences. I invite my brothers along because they enjoy being able to get on the computers and play (at our parents house there is only dial up - not cool they say) and let's face it: this is brothers and sister spending time together even if their eyes are glued to the screens.

This past Saturday, I brought my youngest brother, Blake with me. He's (sad I have to think about this) 15 years old, a freshman in high school. He has such a huge personality it is no wonder that he never gets bored. He can entertain himself. I love being around him because he reminds me to open up, to let go, to have fun. The following is the culmination of our day spent at my school. The kid is my hero.


Sometimes you have to allow your brother to entertain you. You never know what kind of evidence you'll gain by having a camera handy at all times.

All of this coming from a kid who has never had acting classes in his life. It's entirely unfair how talented he is. Truth be told, it's not acting. He loves doing this kind of fun.
Who wouldn't want a brother like this? I love him to pieces.
I just know he got his creative genes from me (even though that's technically not possible)!
Apparently, my face has only one expression. I think I need to take lessons from my brother. I wonder what he will charge? Cookies, muffins, books...
I do believe the "ambushing scenes" were his favorite. Gee, I can't imagine why. It's not often he gets to surprise attack his sister - even if it is in jest.
Pretty sure it was his idea to jump into the trash can. Pretty sure he's much skinnier than I am. Pretty sure I got stuck. Pretty sure he laughed about it before helping me out.
I will never tire of having my brothers in my life. They provide me with inspiration. They show me there is more to life than the busyness which consumes most of my waking moments. If not for these cherished weekends spent having fun and forgetting for a moment that we are in adult and semi-adult bodies, I would be so miserable. My brothers help me in my search for who I am. I like knowing this. It makes me a better person, educator, and most of all, sister. This slice is for them.

Comments

Michelle said…
So cool! I love the scrapbook pages! I also love how the pictures told the story of your adventure together. I'm so glad that you and your brothers were able to get silly and hopefully leave some stress from life behind!

Popular posts from this blog

Human Rain

Shedding so many of these I felt compelled to create a different kind of one.                Human Rain                                               y                      o                      u                    begin                    as an         ...

The Weirdest Teacher in the Galaxy

Jordan is a 7th grade girl at my school and happens to be in my first hour class and visits me during lunch to work on homework. We realized early on our personalities clicked. Jordan's humor fills my day. She lifts me up when I am down. She provides a never ending saga of laughter and sarcasm. I will never tire of her presence nor her positive light on life. The following is just another moment of our exchange and the onslaught that follows. "My mouth just about fell out of its face!" This is the exclamation I proclaimed after I unknowingly chomped on a pinwheel for lunch (a tortilla rolled up with lettuce, meat, cheese and usually some sort of sauce inside and then cut into small sections). All other pinwheels brought in throughout the year had been 'normal' with basic ranch dressing sauce or some sort of cream cheese. Not this one. Nope. This bad boy was one molecule short of a nuclear bomb exploding in my mouth, covering all possible nerve endings with i...

The Chair

The Chair Today my mom said, "Let's cut your hair!" I looked at her from beneath my shaggy mop and decreed quietly, "I'm outta here." No luck I'm afraid for she dragged me by my ratty, red t-shirt to THE CHAIR. "This is so not fair," I mumbled miserably. On goes the old, stained sheet, which has seen one too many cuttings. It will resemble a ghost costume by the time she's done. "Chin up, keep your head straight," she quips light- heartedly, "let's not procrastinate." She just doesn't understand my dilemma, I quietly fume, as she came back into the room with those glinting sheers in hand. Snip, snip, say the silver knives as they rid my follicles of (I was sure) more than split ends. I dread the thought of a new picture; to family members she will surely send. Grumpy and growly I fold my arms across my chest, slouch in THE CHAIR with the worst scowl; my best. ...