Skip to main content

Keyhole Glimpse



A keyhole glimpse about a woman whose heart has been cracked too many times, her soul shattered and crushed beneath the wheels of life. She has suffered so long she is unaware of the decay. She has lost herself in the debris. Others have said, "God is only making you stronger". She has prayed often for God to stop making her so strong.


The true mark of unhappiness can only be seen in the depths of a soul. One can glimpse it on the surface; preening itself for others to see in shadows of tears gliding down a pale cheek. Shocked by it in the eyes of a morose woman whose breath has been stolen by the incomprehensible suffocation threatening the very life she leads. Enamored by the destruction it causes; comparable to the raging wars around the world. Of this unhappiness births a virtue she adopts like a child. She expresses a view of chastity, locking all her heart's doors in fear of the world beyond. She no longer entertains the meaning of love, nor the mere concept of romance, for the dissolution of her bleeding heart has shattered such mirrors. Her constitution absolved. Her demeanor lacking. All except the snippet of brain housing a memory so viral no amount of medication will ever annihilate its presence. Hope continues to knock upon her chained door though in vain, for even as her heart crumbles further into particles of dust she cannot contemplate the notion of a second chance. Inevitably, time and wounds tell the story of her existence and the culmination of her time line. Why would she be blessed with a heart so affecting it would arguably conduct her death?

Comments

Linda B said…
It sounds like you are in a very low place, Heather. Is there someone you're close to that you can talk to? That can give you support?
Heather said…
Actually, I'm doing okay. This is more of a reflection of inner feelings and thoughts of things that have happened in the past two years. I was watching a movie this past weekend and it sparked this writing. If I write about it, it helps me move past the sadness and remember what I'm blessed with. Thanks for your concern. :)
Linda B said…
I'm glad I checked back in to hear your words, & now that I hear the further explanation I re-read your post, & it makes sense, like a real letting go. Thank you & best of wishes to you.

Popular posts from this blog

Human Rain

Shedding so many of these I felt compelled to create a different kind of one.                Human Rain                                               y                      o                      u                    begin                    as an         ...

The Weirdest Teacher in the Galaxy

Jordan is a 7th grade girl at my school and happens to be in my first hour class and visits me during lunch to work on homework. We realized early on our personalities clicked. Jordan's humor fills my day. She lifts me up when I am down. She provides a never ending saga of laughter and sarcasm. I will never tire of her presence nor her positive light on life. The following is just another moment of our exchange and the onslaught that follows. "My mouth just about fell out of its face!" This is the exclamation I proclaimed after I unknowingly chomped on a pinwheel for lunch (a tortilla rolled up with lettuce, meat, cheese and usually some sort of sauce inside and then cut into small sections). All other pinwheels brought in throughout the year had been 'normal' with basic ranch dressing sauce or some sort of cream cheese. Not this one. Nope. This bad boy was one molecule short of a nuclear bomb exploding in my mouth, covering all possible nerve endings with i...

The Chair

The Chair Today my mom said, "Let's cut your hair!" I looked at her from beneath my shaggy mop and decreed quietly, "I'm outta here." No luck I'm afraid for she dragged me by my ratty, red t-shirt to THE CHAIR. "This is so not fair," I mumbled miserably. On goes the old, stained sheet, which has seen one too many cuttings. It will resemble a ghost costume by the time she's done. "Chin up, keep your head straight," she quips light- heartedly, "let's not procrastinate." She just doesn't understand my dilemma, I quietly fume, as she came back into the room with those glinting sheers in hand. Snip, snip, say the silver knives as they rid my follicles of (I was sure) more than split ends. I dread the thought of a new picture; to family members she will surely send. Grumpy and growly I fold my arms across my chest, slouch in THE CHAIR with the worst scowl; my best. ...